Vietnam e-visa for Hong Kong passport holders – Yes or No
At the moment, there is a new kind of Vietnam visa appealing to travelers around the world which is called e-visa. However, unlike Vietnam visa on arrival which is available for all travelers to Vietnam by air, E-visa for Vietnam is limited to only nationals of 40 countries only. So, who are they? Is Hong Kong included in such list?
We are sorry but we must answer that in the list of 40 nationalities eligible for Vietnam e-visa announced by the Vietnam government, Hong Kong is NOT included. The full list can be found here.
So, how to obtain Vietnam visa for Hong Kong travelers at the moment?
At the moment, there are two legitimate ways for Hong Kong travelers to get a visa for Vietnam, namely:
- Getting visa via the Vietnam embassy; or
- Getting visa on arrival.
Now, let’s see the table below for brief information about these two ways:
Visa on arrival
Vietnam Immigration Department
2 working days (or 2 hours urgent)
4 – 5 working days
From US$21 (excluding stamp fee)
Varied by case
Postal cost, driving, parking fees
Now, it’s time to see which one is more convenient and feasible by see how each of them works as well as their advantages and disadvantages.
For Visa at Vietnam Embassy:
How to get:
The embassy may accept visa applications submitted to them in person or by post. If you live far from the embassy, you should contact them in advance to ask whether they accept submissions via post.
Following is the common procedure to get Vietnam visa issued by the embassy in case you get there in person.
- Download the application form on website of the embassy you are planned to apply for visa with, fill it out and attached it with a photo;
- Prepare documents for application, including: application form, original passport, photos and visa fee and others as required by the embassy;
- Travel to the Embassy to submit application documents and pay for visa fee;
- Get the Appointment Letter and then leave there for home;
- Travel back to the embassy on the appointed date to pick up original passport and visa.
- Available to all Singaporeans to Vietnam by any means of transport.
- Having stamped visa on passport before departure to Vietnam.
- Processed separately.
- Inconvenient for those living far from the embassy;
- Long processing time (often 4 – 5 working days);
- No urgent processing (2 – 4 working hours);
- Possible long queue at the embassy;
- Hassle with sending away the passport.
For Vietnam Visa on Arrival
This way is said to solve the inconvenience of the former way. Its process is completely different. It requires no travel or no sending off original passport and other documents via post either. It just requires a device with internet access. Accordingly, it is said very convenient for those living far from the embassy.
How to get:
Here is the process to get Vietnam visa on arrival for Hong Kong citizens
- Go online to https://booking.vietnam-visa.com/step1.html, and complete the form here (no document is required);
- Make payment of service fee online;
- Get visa approval letter delivered to email together with detailed guide to pick up full visa upon arrival at Vietnam airport within 2 working days or even 2 working hours in urgent cases;
- Get visa stamped upon original passport upon arrival at Vietnam airport.
- Convenient for those living far from the embassy;
- Short processing time (2 working days only);
- Urgent processing (1 – 2 working days only);
- No hassle with sending away the passport.
- Available for those traveling to Vietnam by air only;
- Possible long queue at Vietnam Immigration Counter at Vietnam airport to get visa stamped;
- Often processed in group.
This is a full comparison between the current 2 ways to obtain Vietnam visa for Hong Kong passport holders. We are sure that by reading here, you now already know which way is best for you.
Should you need any further information, please feel free to let us know via [email protected] or (+84) 946 583 583.