You are Hong Kong passport holder and you are wondering whether a visa is required for you to visit Vietnam and in which case you do not need it. You may find the answer below in this post.
Please be kindly informed that there is only one place in Vietnam that you can visit without visa, that is the Phu Quoc island of Vietnam.
Conditions to get Vietnam visa exemption for Hong Kong passport holders to visit Phu Quoc of Vietnam:
- Your passport must be valid for at least 06 months since your entry date into Phu Quoc;
- You must directly visit Phu Quoc from a foreign country or territory outside Vietnam and then leave the island for a foreign country or territory;
- Your stay there is no more than 30 days.
Otherwise, a you need a valid visa to Vietnam.
In this case, the Vietnam visa can be obtained in either of two ways: obtain via the embassy and obtain visa on arrival.
Following is a brief description of these two ways:
1. Vietnam Visa on Arrival
Visa on arrival is said very convenient as it allows you to apply online for visa approval letter and then to pick up full visa at Vietnam international airport. Its whole process is as follows:
- Complete the online form for visa approval letter;
- Pay for service fee;
- Receive approval letter via email together with Vietnamese visa application form (formerly entry and exit form and print them out.
- Show the visa approval letter at departure airport to get on board, and get visa stamped upon arrival at Vietnam airport by showing original passport, visa approval letter, completed Vietnamese visa application form, 2 passport-sized photos and stamping fee.
The process to get visa approval letter normally takes 2 working days.
Note: Visa on arrival works for air travel only. And it is available in 4 international airports in Vietnam, including Noi Bai airport (Hanoi city), Tan Son Nhat airport (Ho Chi Minh City city), Cam Ranh airport (Nha Trang city) and Da Nang airport (Da Nang city).
2. Visa at the embassy of Vietnam
If you wish to obtain the visa in this way, you can contact the Vietnam Embassy in Hong Kong or at any embassy or consulate of Vietnam close to your place. You need to prepare the following documents to submit to the embassy:
- Original Passport (with at least 06 month validity from date of entering Vietnam)
- One completed application form for a Vietnam visa (Contact the embassy or consulate for this form)
- One passport sized photo of 4×6 cm (attached to the application)
- Visa fees (Cash, Money order or Bank cheque) payable to “The Embassy of Vietnam”
- Prepaid return envelope, if you plan to receive your visa by mail
* Sometimes, Flight return ticket and Hotel booking reservation or tour itinerary are required. Please check these information with the embassy or consulate of Vietnam where you want to apply the Visa.
Should you need any further information about Vietnam visa in Hong Kong, feel free to let us know.